The competition is tough!! When you are looking for a new position or other opportunities, how can you possibly stand out from the crowd? We’ll one way to accomplish this is to have a career brand that stands out and will make you the sought after candidate over others.
Here are 5 ways you can get started with enhancing your career brand:
1. Your Resume – You want to have an updated resume that clearly reflects who you are, quickly. Recruiters and hiring managers review many resumes at a time. So when they get to your resume, you want to format it just right so that “YOU” jump right out at them and grab their attention. You want to include a dynamic branding statement, and be sure that your resume is tailored to the opportunity. It is also recommended that you have your resume reviewed by a professional for feedback.
2. Your Branding Statement – This should be 2-3 sentences that reflects who you are and what you have to offer. This generally replaces the objective on your resume, and it can also be used on your social media profiles and business cards. This way those who read your information can quickly determine if you may be a good fit their opportunity.
3. Your Online Presence – More and more employers are searching online to find that right person to hire. So you want to make sure that you can easily be found online. You also want to be sure that the information about you online is positive and professional. A great way to see what employers may see about you is to go ahead and search yourself online and see what comes up. This way you can ensure that there is no negative information about you online that could prevent you from your next opportunity.
4. Social Media Profile – Another great way to enhance your brand is to have consistency within all of your social media profiles. So that way, regardless of where you are found online, the message is the same. You could consider having a professional photo as your profile picture and samples of your work, as appropriate.
5. Your Expertise – Showcasing your expertise is another great way to enhance your career brand. Whether speaking on a topic that you know about well, starting a blog, or conducting a training. You can package that into links on your profile that prospective employers can click on and learn more about you first hand. That will certainly help you stand out.
So think about how you can enhance your career brand and package it so that you will continue to stand out for more opportunities. This is an area that will continue to evolve as you do so changing and revising along the way is to be expected. If you like this information and want to learn more about career branding, then click here.
Alisa Charles is the creator of Style Your Career for Busy Moms. She is also a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR, SHRM-SCP) and has been practicing human resources for over 20 years. She is the author of “90 New Employee Orientation Ideas for Human Resources Professionals” currently available on Amazon.com. In addition to her HR background, Alisa is a certified Personal & Executive coach and enjoys using her extensive HR experience with her coaching background to assist individuals in achieving their goals.